October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month and several other disability awareness commemorations.
Here is a brief list of upcoming free and low cost webinars:
DLF Accessibility Working Group’s free webinar “Inclusive Design and Accessible Exhibits: Some Guidance for Libraries, Galleries, and Museums” taught by Sina Bahram, October 12, 3-4:30 ET
“Neurodiversity Rising: Eliminating Bias from Hiring” free virtual conference featuring speakers including Temple Grandin, Yuh-Line Niou, and Finn Gardiner, October 14, 1-3:30 ET
The Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA) will be hosting two disability-focused webinars (scaled registration fees):
- Disabilities Consciousness Raising
Thursday, October 15th, 2020 from 12pm-1pm PST
- Practical Applications for Disabilities Consciousness Raising (including Immediate Past Chair Lydia Tang as a panelist)
Friday, October 16th, 2020 from 12pm-2pm PST
Stay tuned on their website for registration information!
The Library Accessibility Alliance has been putting on free webinars on accessibility:
- An Introduction to Disability (already passed, but was recorded 9/30)
- Disability Awareness — Use of physical spaces by persons with disabilities, October 23, 2020 at 2pm ET / 1pm Central Time
- Website Accessibility 101 & Library Resources, November 10, 2020 at 2pm ET / 1pm Central Time
- Overview of E-Resource Assessment Process, December 1, 2020 at 2pm Eastern Time / 1pm Central Time
The University of Maryland has created a host of webinars for this month. While the content is primarily oriented towards the UMD campus community, the webinars appear to be free and open to the public. Session topics include workforce recruitment, accessible courses and teaching, #BlackDisabledLivesMatter, Mental Health Awareness Week, IT accessibility, self-care, adaptive sports, disclosure and accommodations, disability rights, and disability stigma. Steering committee member Zachary Tumlin is a co-organizer and moderator for the October 5th event.
The Starkloff Disability Institute is having a Workforce, Workplace Disability Summit series of free webinars every Wednesday this month:
Oct 7 – Accomodations and the Remote Workplace
Oct 14 – Creating a Culture of Inclusion
Oct 21 – Digital Accessibility: What HR Professionals Need to Know
Oct 28 – The Role Your D&I Team Plays During Crisis
We also want to acknowledge the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsberg, who was a champion of disability rights. May her memory be a revolution.
Do you know of other resources or news to share? Please feel free to share it or send it to us to amplify! adsectionblogSAA@gmail.com
~ on behalf of the Accessibility & Disability Section Steering Committee